East Carolina University
Dental-Director of Community Dental Practices (faculty)
Vacancy #: 000712
Salary Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Director of Community Dental Practices works within the School of Dental Medicine’s (SoDM) Office of Extramural Clinical Practices and reports to the Assistant/Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices in collaboration with offices of Clinical Affairs, the Vice Dean, Educational Support and Faculty Development, Dental Education and Informatics, Student Affairs, Research, Student Success, the Department Chairs of General Dentistry, Foundational Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and Surgical Sciences and the Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) Residency Program to support the School of Dental Medicine’s mission, vision, programs and initiatives.
The Director of Community Dental Practices provides leadership and direct oversight in the management of operations at multiple clinics of the SoDM’s Community Service Learning Centers (CSLCs). The Director of Community Dental Practices in association with the Assistant/Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices is responsible for creating and evaluating processes that ensure required educational and financial sustainability while ensuring continual improvement of the CSLCs’ processes for providing exceptional care and service to its patients. Additionally, the Director of Community Dental Practices coordinates the CSLCs’ human, financial, and material resources in order to anticipate and meet the educational needs of its students and those of the CSLCs’ patients and community partners. The Director of Community Practices, in support of the educational needs of the SoDM’s residents and students, will be licensed and available to provide a full range of comprehensive general dentistry services and will ensure the highest of standards for graduating exceptionally skilled, community minded general dentists.
Specific duties include:
- Work under the direction of and report to the Assistant/Associate Dean of Extramural Clinical Practices in the successful management, operation and oversight of the CSLCs, including travel to CSLCs.
- Ensure successful operational performance including exceptional customer service, quality of care, financial and educational sustainability and administrative and clinical standardization throughout the CSLC
- Assist in the development and coordination of community and regional outreach and oral health promotion programs.
- Provide leadership to inspire and coach employees in successful accomplishment of strategic and operational goals and related tasks.
- Assist in the oversight of processes of CSLCfaculty, staff recruitment and retention.
- Assist in ensuring that processes and resources are available to meet patient and staff expectations necessary in the delivery of high quality services within a supportive educational and work environment.
- Assist in the development of annual business plans and operating budgets to ensure long term viability of the CSLCs.
- Work with faculty and staff to maintain and improve quality performance standards for patient care, operational and financial goals.
- Assist in ensuring ongoing compliance and training with all university, state and federal regulations and CODAaccreditation standards.
- Assist in coordinating all aspects of operations to ensure the CSLCs are a vibrant and integral part of the School of Dental Medicine.
- Support CSLCleadership in their efforts to assure quality of care provided to patients by faculty, students and residents including implementation of best practices and assessment of care guidelines that comply with CODA
- Assist in the supervision of CSLC/community based residents and students to ensure their safety and security.
- Ensure physical plants are appropriately managed to provide for effective operations, appearance, safety and security. Serve as primary interface with SoDM Facilities Manager.
- Work closely with the Department Chairs and Division Director of Advanced General Dentistry in the delivery of the curriculum and patient care by the students and residents at the CSLCs.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean or Assistant/Associate Dean of Extramural Clinical Practices.
Fixed-term or tenure-track at the title/rank of Clinical Assistant Professor/Assistant Professor or higher available.
- DDSor DMD degree from a CODA accredited school
- Eligible to be licensed to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina, and, upon assuming the position, licensed to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina.
- Knowledge and experience in the successful operation of multiple practices in a dental care delivery system.
- Outstanding interpersonal capabilities with excellent verbal and written communication skills combined with a record of building consensus within an academic/practice setting.
- Ability to quickly respond to requests and situations with accuracy, reliability and flexibility.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
Eligible to be licensed to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina, and, upon assuming the position, licensed to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- In addition, Master’s degree in public health, health administration or business administration, is preferred.
- A general knowledge of the principles of community organization, public and business administration.
- Broad knowledge of issues in dental education.
- Three years of experience as leader/manager in a healthcare management role.
- Ability to work effectively with others in an organization outside of the formal authority to accomplish organizational goals and to identify and resolve issues.
- Basic knowledge and experience in quality and process improvement activities.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising the work of others.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within an organization and with outside organizations, agencies and individuals.
- Experience with pre-doctoral and post-doctoral dental education.
Special Instructions to Applicants
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
Letter of Interest
List of Three References (noting contact information)
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 000712 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/9906
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/vf4ynzfzh3hs5rth