Vacancy #: 000928
Salary Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Biomedical Materials Sciences Faculty (BMSF) in the School of Dental Medicine is responsible for teaching Biomedical Materials Sciences to the pre-doctoral and post-doctoral students at the SoDM as well as conducting appropriate research in the field of dental materials.
This position is in the Division of Prosthodontics within the Department of General Dentistry.
The BMSF reports to the Division Director of Prosthodontics. The BMSF works in close cooperation with the Offices of Clinical Affairs and the office of Dental Education and Informatics to support the School’s programs and initiatives.
In addition, the section works closely with other Schools and Colleges of East Carolina University and other components of the University of North Carolina, as well as local/regional educational and clinical programs, particularly ECU’s College of Engineering.
The Biomedical Materials Sciences Faculty supports the development and implementation of the Dental Materials aspects of the preclinical and clinical curriculum taught to the dental students and in the School’s residency programs.
Specific duties include:
- Working closely with the Division Director of Prosthodontics and the Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics in curriculum development and implementation related to the Biomedical Materials Sciences related to general and pediatric dentistry.
- Working closely with the Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics and other informatics personnel to optimize the use of technology to support the section’s teaching programs.
- Coordination of Biomedical Materials Sciences didactic and clinical activities with Division Director of Prosthodontics, the Chair of General Dentistry, the Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, and the Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs.
- Conduct basic and/or clinical research, and other scholarly activities that will help qualify for appropriate promotion, including obtaining extramural funding.
- Develop programs to involve basic science and clinical faculty, residents and dental students in research.
- Develop and deliver state-of-the-art continuing education programs related to Biomedical Materials Sciences.
- Coordination of accreditation and other program documentation as needed.
- Responding to local and national requests for information and documentation related to the section’s didactic and clinical programs.
- Participating in budget planning for the division and ensuring that staffing, equipment, and funding are appropriate for the mission requirements as they relate to Biomedical Materials Sciences.
- Assisting the Chair of General Dentistry and the Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs in quality assurance and improvement, and compliance efforts.
- Seeking to serve on committees and boards for state/federal government agencies, professional societies and within the school.
- Responding to assignments from the Division Director of Prosthodontics, the Chair of General Dentistry, and the Dean of the School of Dentistry essential to unit’s and school’s operations.
- Attending meetings and representing the School in internal and external venues as requested by the Chair of General Dentistry or the Dean.
- Representing the School to external constituencies as appropriate.
- Performing other duties and assuming additional responsibilities as assigned by the Division Director of Prosthodontics, the Chair of General Dentistry, or the Dean.
Fixed Term or Tenure Track faculty position available.
- MS in Materials Science and Engineering (or equivalent) from an appropriately accredited institution.
- DDS or DMD from a Dental School accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
- Eligibility for dental licensure in North Carolina (A NC dental license must be secured within the first two months of employment).
- Commitment to and evidence of building teams in planning and to identify and resolve problems.
- Commitment to conducting basic and clinical research, and other scholarly activities that will help qualify for appropriate promotion.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Fellowship or Masters in Prosthodontics, Fellowship or Masters in Operative, Comprehensive Dentistry Residency Certificate (2yrs), Advanced Education in General Dentistry Certificate or General Practice Residency Certificate.
- Commitment to evidence-based teaching and practice.
- Broad knowledge of issues related to material used in dentistry.
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering (or equivalent) from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Experience in preparing and teaching preclinical and clinical aspects of Biomedical Materials Sciences and restorative dentistry.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
Letter of Interest
List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must complete a candidate profile or staff application (see “Application Types Accepted” below) online via the PeopleAdmin system. In addition, applicants must submit the documents requested in order to be considered for the position.
Application Types Accepted:
Candidate Profile (EHRA only)
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 000928 to ECU Human Resources at www.jobs.ecu.edu.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=86026
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/h2355z9j6g9m4g3m